[ubuntu-in] Typing and more importantly reading in Malayalam

Gora Mohanty gora_mohanty at yahoo.co.in
Wed Mar 29 08:10:27 BST 2006

--- Carthik Sharma <carthik at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I was trying to help with translating Dapper into Malayalam at the
> Rosetta page for a package.
>
> My biggest problem is that on Firefox, the text in Malayalam is
> really screwed up.
[...]
> The Malayalam test is sort of garbled. Let me explain this in detail:
> The vowel-qualifiers are misplaced.

>From your description, the Firefox that you are using is probably not
Indic-enabled. Mozilla, and Firefox can handle Indic text quite well,
but need to be specially compiled with support for Pango or for the
m17n library. Which version of Firefox, and what distribution are you
using? I believe that the Firefox in Ubuntu Breezy is Indic-enabled,
but
that was not the case earlier.

Regards,
Gora