[ubuntu-in] Re:- New Member - Introduction

Baishampayan Ghose b.ghose at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 10 11:48:28 BST 2006

Vilas,
> My name is very clear since I do not use any aliases or nick names.
> Let me tell you very frankly that I am computer illiterate . I came
> in contact with Ubuntu is just a chance. Since I was fade up with the
> virus problems while using MS XP . I asked one of the members of free
> software magazine and he guided me to various things and at last I
> was introduced to Ubuntu. I am so glad to know that there are some
> people in this world of greed and loot (rare species now-a- days) who
> wants to make the things free and accessible to the common human
> beings. Otherwise in present world everybody is just mad to get the
> share of the corporate loot. My hearty greetings to all of you. I am
> from Nagpur(Maharashtra) doing a small business(ready made garments
> purchasing from Calcutta and selling in the local market.
Welcome to the world of Free Software! It's great to have somebody like
you here. Free Software is not a new phenomenon, but it's good to see
that it's finally catching up in India, as in even non-technical people
are embracing it happily. Now it's time we all worked together on this
and solved whatever issues which exist with Free Software in general &
Ubuntu in particular.

> You all seem to be quite young but I too am young at heart though age
> wise 54yrs.
I agree, but there are some other senior people here too. It doesn't
really matter how old you are chronologically as long as you have an
open mind and are young at heart ;)

> I would like to popularise Ubuntu in this area. As and when I am free
> I would like to give my time for the project you feel like of use in
> this area. But please keep in mind that I do not understand
> computer's software/hardware language. So as a volunteer I am always
> with you all. Because I feel that this corporate world is looting the
> whole globe in general and India/Asia in particular and this loot
> should be challenged and stopped. Forest is India has remained only
> 15%, animals/birds are getting extinct,mother earth is being raped
> vigorously in the name of mining and development,stars are almost not
> visible in the cities, their shin is lost under the glare of neon and
>  artificial lights which lights the outside world and darkens the
> inner world of us all. Where are we heading to, has become a
> irrelevant question and its answers are buried under the hips of
> garbage of commodities every where around devoid of any human with
> its original self.
Awesome. Very well said. We all want to popularise Ubuntu everywhere and
spread the message of Free Software. But since most of us here are
technical people like developers, etc. and it becomes quite tough for us
to do grass-roots marketing all the time. We need more people like you
to help us with this. What you can do right now, is this --
* Talk to your friends who use computers about the problems they face
with M$ Windows, etc.
* Educate them about GNU/Linux in general & Ubuntu in particular.
* Give them free Ubuntu CDs and / or help them with installing Ubuntu on
their PCs
* See if there are some specific needs like server installations,
hardware issues, etc. about which we can guide you
* If there are any bugs, or wish lists, you can either help fix them
yourself or talk to us about this
* Organise events in your place, schools, colleges, establishments, etc.
We can attend those events and deliver talks, or conduct workshops
* Ask more people to join the list and / or IRC if they need specific
assistance, etc.

The above will really help in spreading the word about Free Software,
and we all will benefit from this.

> In this light when I find friends like you then it shows some ray of
> hope. In maddening crowd intoxicated by the drug of power and money
> keep this hope alive,this is my only request to you all.
Heh, right. We all have been fighting towards freedom for quite sometime
... I am happy to see that we are no longer alone in this ...
Vilas, welcome again. And thanks a lot for joining. I hope your journey
with us will be worthwhile.
Meanwhile you can join us on IRC at #ubuntu-in @ irc.freenode.net. You
should also check out our website http://www.ubuntu-in.org/ if you
haven't already. Suggestions are welcome.
Have a nice day ...
Regards,
BG

- --
Baishampayan Ghose <b.ghose at ubuntu.com>
Ubuntu -- Linux for Human Beings
http://www.ubuntu.com/

1024D/86361B74
BB2C E244 15AD 05C5 523A  90E7 4249 3494 8636 1B74