[ubuntu-hardened] Making security notices searchable

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Sat Oct 19 01:34:56 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 04:00:26PM +0200, Russenberger Dominik wrote:
> Filtering by arches (e.g. amd64+all) might be useful, for the handful of
> bugs that only affect a single architecture.

I don't believe we have recorded any metadata that could be used to
determine this. I'm not sure it would be useful: the linux kernel package
is going to be the largest source of architecture-specific issues, and
quite a lot of those aren't necessarily kernel vulnerabilities as much as
mitigations for hardware flaws.

We publish kernels on a three week cadence and it is a rare cycle that
doesn't have security issues. If you've got nothing but POWER9 boxes you
may not need the mitigations included for eg Intel processor issues but
something like 99% of the kernel code is architecture independent.

I can't think of any other packages off-hand that had architecture
specific flaws. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but they're rare.

Thanks