[ubuntu-hardened] Making security notices searchable

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Sat Oct 19 01:33:50 UTC 2019

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 10:55:45AM +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Canonical’s Web & Design team, I’m working on a project to design how
> the USN tracker <https://usn.ubuntu.com/> can become part of the main
> ubuntu.com site.

Hello Matthew, this sounds wonderful!

> *   If any search showed results sorted newest first, would there be any
>     use case for searching notices by date? (For example, show me only
>     notices posted in 2017.)

Yes, it would be nice to be able to search by all the usual criteria:
freeform text, binary package names, source package names, dates,
affected releases, unaffected releases, etc.

> *   Anything else you think I should know?

Our current publishing process for USNs is not ideal. While the static
site generation approach worked well when the entire site was hosted by a
simple webserver and front end caches, it works less well in the face of
rebuilding VMs to run in kubernetes. The latency for update publication
isn't a good use of time.

I'd much rather see a fully dynamic database backed website where the
webservers are updated only when the application needs to be updated and
we can instead push data into a database to publish or modify USNs. (I
should point out that this is strictly my opinion on the matter and not
an official team position.)

Thanks