[ubuntu-hardened] OVAL shows vulnerabilities when software is not installed

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Fri Jul 7 21:26:01 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 10:37:55AM +0200, Jesus Linares wrote:
> I don't agree. If I have 100 Ubuntu servers and I run oscap every day... I
> will get 10900 useless alerts. Of course, I can ignore them, but it is also

Ah but 10900 different alerts would actually be 25% of our archive. :)

Much more likely is most of those alerts are duplicates and there'd
really only be 150-200 total unique things on your network. As you'd
work down the list you'd be removing hundreds of alerts, think of how
good that'd feel!

Thanks