[ubuntu-hardened] [Ubuntu 12.04 LTS] Security support for virtualbox in "Wheezy" is ended.

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Thu Jan 28 20:33:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 12:14:52PM +0100, daniel curtis wrote:
> I would like to ask what will happen now with Virtualbox in "Precise"
> release? More information:

Hello Daniel,

Our VirtualBox updates have been prepared for us by Gianfranco Costamagna
(better known on IRC as LocutusOfBorg).

He does a lot of the work in his own PPA and his most recent set of
updates do not include 12.04 LTS versions:

https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/locutusofborg-ppa/+packages

He may try to SRU 4.3 to 12.04 LTS but there have been drastic changes
over the years and it may not be possible for an enthusiast to backport
and support the newer versions on the old distribution.

I can't speak for him but I suspect virtualbox will not receive any
further updates on 12.04 LTS. You can of course continue using old
versions with the caveats that there may be unaddressed issues; or you
could switch to qemu/kvm; or upgrade to a newer Ubuntu release with
the virtualbox 4.3 packaging.

Thanks