[ubuntu-hardened] [AppArmor] Default Firefox profile: ~/Downloads and ~/Public directory issue.

Seth Arnold seth.arnold at canonical.com
Tue May 6 18:46:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 03:43:20PM +0200, Daniel Curtis wrote:
> It seems to be very important issue. Especially from a
> security point of view. If someone is a non-english person,
> then it seems, that AppArmor is not protecting well, Firefox
> and users home directories (see above). I hope I'm wrong.

Hello Daniel,

This is currently not handled well.

It isn't that AppArmor isn't protecting well -- the policy will be
enforced and if these directories don't exist because they have localized
names then in fact the permissions available to Firefox are smaller. But
it won't work as the user wants, so we should come up with some way to fix
this.

There is a thread describing some potential plans here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/apparmor/2013-August/004183.html

Thanks