[ubuntu-hardened] Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN): disable or leave the default setting?

Daniel Curtis sidetripping at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 13:25:39 UTC 2013

Hi

I would like to ask about so-called Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN) option, which - probably - resulting in increased
network performance. Apparently on the network there is much,
let say,  *broken* firewalls, which refuse connections from
ECN-enabled machines. So to access to such site ECN should be
disabled.

So what is the best solution, to do with this option? I have to
mention, that I don't see any problems with accessing to
the websites. Maybe sometimes, but it is really rare behavior. By
default e.g. in Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, ECN is set to 2. So it is a good
idea to disable this?;

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

What to do with this option? Leaving it as is, or disable? Almost
on every website (related to Linux etc,) is written, that it is better
to disable this option (e.g. Gentoo documentation [1]). Why, for example,
in Xubuntu this option is set to the 2?

Best regards.