[ubuntu-hardened] Hello and Introduction

Michael J Daniel michael.j.daniel956 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:21:55 UTC 2012

Hello, my name is Michael Daniel and I want to help make Ubuntu secure.

My current plan is to pick an apparmor bug and work on it.

I get apparmor. I believe the idea implemented by apparmor is the most
significant idea in computer security since the invention of PKI, and
the most significant operating system idea since the thread.

That is, the idea that an operating system can and should enforce a rule
like, "A browser can only down files to this directory, and files in
this directory can can not modify any executable file. Period." And that
as a user, I can rely on this safety, with having to be an expert on
security.

I don't hate anyone, but I am absolutely against anyone wondering
around, uninvited, in my data, especially strangers and people who want
to me harm or steal my time, including the government. A man's data is
his castle.

I have a high level of integrity, make judgments based on the big
picture, and will not accept a solution that is not beneficial to all.
(Because I know there is a solution beneficial to all, we just have to
find it.)

There are a lot of things I know, and a lot I don't know. For example,
I understand space and time partitioning, but I don't know a lot of
details about creating and managing Ubuntu code and packages. Though I
am willing to learn. Please help me. I love learning.

I am in the Rotary Club of my local community, and recognize this effort
for what it is, international community service.

I have maintained and operated nuclear reactors, taught all standard
undergraduate computer science courses, and helped implement loadable
software on Boeing 787. I earned a masters in computer science at the
University of Virginia. I can make a meaningful contribution.

I am excited about helping and having my small efforts help make the
world a better place for millions of people.

michael