[ubuntu-hardened] security centerin ubuntu

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 2 18:33:48 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 01:20:33PM -0000, Nils-Christoph Fiedler wrote:
> this idea, because today security is kind of a patchwork of different
> software, partly even not in the repositories of ubuntu, which makes it

I have to disagree about the "not in the repositories" bit, but I can
agree that a central UI for investigating security would be interesting.

> accurate and a little annoying for more skilled ones, to install and
> setup those software separately. (talking about my personal experience)

The bulk of Ubuntu's security[1] is on by default and doesn't require
any user interaction.  For the other pieces, the way to configure them
is very different, since they do very different things.  To that end,
I think documentation is needed before a UI.  If we can't describe what
to do first, we have no hope of writing a UI to help do things.  :)

> besides that i think there is a lack of "corporate design" or
> centralization of software and settings management in ubuntu, because
> you dont have one location where to individualize settings, but a
> handful of applications for that. (maybe this is also a problem of
> gnome)
> what do you think about that?

Sounds like a great project; I would be interested in what you come
up with.  Just itemizing specifically which subsystems to incorporate
would be a great first step, with consolidated documentation pointers
to follow, I'd imagine.

Thanks!

-Kees

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/Features#Matrix