[ubuntu-hardened] home folder permissions

gaten education.kills at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:25:18 GMT 2007

Agree with you 100%. It seems alot of people just stop at "Linux is more
secure" and don't really look into the small things.

Case in point:
 Everyone bitches that Window XP firewall sucks, blah blah blah. Well,
iptables doesn't suck, BUT it is disabled by default (at least in
Feisty). How does that make sense? We've got a great firewall that has
been tested and improved forever installed by default, and the damn
thing isn't even on.

What does everyone think about jailed binaries for common applications?
For Firefox, for instance. Web browsers are becoming (well, have been)
an attack vector more and more, and I honestly think IE7 in Vista is a
step in the right direction. With shared folders or something, a jailed
Firefox (by default) would be an easy solution to a possible problem.

But once again, I agree with your assessment of home dirs, the current
setup just does not make sense, even in a Usability vs Security light.