Proposal to drop 32-bit Ubuntu GNOME support after 18.04 LTS

Emblem Parade emblemparade at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 17:50:48 UTC 2017

Is support for 32bits seriously stressing the dev/QA resources of the small
Ubuntu GNOME team?

If yes, then please drop it!

There are enough solutions out there for those who want GNOME on Linux in
32bits. (And I'm not even mentioning other DEs that might be more suitable
for 32bits, such as the terrific Xubuntu project.) 32bit Ubuntu users
especially devoted to GNOME can even build it on their own. The point is
that the good folk who make Ubuntu GNOME should enjoy their work and feel
focused and productive. You're not leaving 32bit users in the cold --
they'll shall survive.

If the decision to drop 32bits is just a matter of principle, because the
number of users is small, then perhaps it's premature to drop. Even if
there is just a handful of users who are grateful for being able to run a
modern desktop on their older machines I think it could be wonderful and
worthwhile to continue to support them.

Thanks, team. I will support whatever decision is best for you and your
priorities.