Ubuntu Material Design

Khurshid Alam khurshid.alam at linuxmail.org
Tue Aug 29 10:37:21 UTC 2017

Hi Eric,

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 3:25 PM, snydox <eric at snydox.com> wrote:
> -Install Adapta GTK Theme along with Papirus Icon theme. Why? because
> they look gorgeous and they push the Material Design Concept we love
> on our Android phones.

It depends on the distro. Ubuntu has Ambiance/Radiance.

> -Install Dash-to-dock Extension, and place the dock on the bottom
> with the App Drawer at the beginning. Why? Because wide screens let
> you place even more apps on the dock and even though Canonical
> believes that the dock should remain on the left, It doesn't really
> matter because the Intellihide feature gives you even more space when
> you maximize an App.

User can install d-t-d using apt or from gnome-software. But  you see
d-t-d tries to do exactly opposite what gnome-shell is designed to do.
So Gnome doesn't recommend distro to install it by default.

> -Users also Install the Activities Configurator to add transparency
> to the top panel and change the "Activities" button for an icon.

Transparency idea was rejected by Gnome as it is against their HIG.
User can install it if they want.

> - And last but not least, most users install the Top Icons Plus
> extension to get rid of the bottom tray and place the applets on the
> top panel.

Top icons is based on legacy system-tray which Gnome removed
completely. So as of now Top icons doesn't work. But there is better
alternative: app-indicators. Ubuntu will use it and everybody else too.

> When it comes to the default Apps, the most popular browser is Google
> Chrome (Not Chromium). I'm aware it is not a Free App but maybe
> Google can sign an agreement with a distro to make it default.

Normal users won't notice the difference between chrome & chromium. And
no, Debian can't include chrome.

> The world has the best Linux OS for phones and tablets: Android and
> the best Linux OS for Netbooks (ChromeOS) Why shouldn't we have the
> best OS for Work Stations as well?

What "best" according to you may not be the best according to someone
else. You like shell, he likes Unity and she likes mate.

> It would be nice to have an OS that provides a seamless Ecosystem
> among your devices.

Yes it would be. But it requires universal-online-account-integration,
cloud-sync of data/settings ,an api to talk with the system  etc.
But as of now, no such project exists neither in Gnome nor in KDE.
Unity8 tried to do that which was abandoned. You can try Yunit when it
become bit mature. Solus has similar plan too.

Thanks.