[2016-Goal#1] A NEW Server for Ubuntu GNOME

jasper at jbacker.nl jasper at jbacker.nl
Sat Jan 2 23:59:24 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-03 00:46, Ali/amjjawad wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Jasper Backer <jasper at jbacker.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
>> I can provide a proper virtual machine on my dedicated server for
>> the project. That box will stay up no matter what as I am dependant
>> on it as well :)
>
> Thanks. We need to have 1-2-1 chat later IN CASE we want to consider
> that option. I can't confirm now. I have very bad experience with
> 'free' hosting services. No offence, I'm just sharing my experience
> and I don't mean anything bad here.

No worries. :) If it's ever needed I can provide it (also should we need
a staging environment or just a server for different purposes for the
project). I'm dependent on the machine itself as well and have the funds
to keep it going. :)

> [...]
>> <knome> so, what's the question?
>> <amjjawad> ubuntugnome.org [1] is hosted with Canonical AFAIK. I
>> can't even update WordPress, nor install any plug-in nor do anything
>> whatsoever.
>> <amjjawad> I can only create pages and add posts, that's all.
>> <knome> you can send requests via rt.ubuntu.com [2]
>> <knome> that's how canonical-hosted sites work
>> <amjjawad> For Xubuntu, do you guys host with them too?
>> <knome> yes
>> <amjjawad> website + ISOs too?
>> <knome> yes
>> <amjjawad> From your own experience, do you think it's a bad idea to
>> host somewhere else? should we stick with them?
>> <knome> there are benefits with both ways
>> * thc202 (~thc202 at unaffiliated/thc202) has joined #xubuntu-devel
>> * thc202 (~thc202 at unaffiliated/thc202) has left #xubuntu-devel
>> ("Leaving")
>> <knome> when you host with canonical, and have figured out a stable
>> environment, you don't have to deal with the maintaining overhead
>> yourself
>> <knome> and by stable environment i mean you know which
>> theme/plugins you want to use
>> <amjjawad> True. We're planning to replace the current website with
>> a better designed one. However, due to limited access, we're unable
>> to do that and I was wondering how to do it but now, you told I need
>> to contact rt.ubuntu.com [2]
>> <knome> rt.ubuntu.com [2] is where you can request canonical to
>> update the website files with new ones
>> <amjjawad> Someone mentioned they're so slow :( not sure if that's
>> true.
>> <amjjawad> I guess one way to find out is to actually send and see.
>> <knome> as i said, once you have figured out a stable environment,
>> it's ok
>> <amjjawad> Yes
>> <knome> our requests for theme updates are *usually* responded to
>> within 1-2 days
>> <knome> anyway, i would strongly suggest, regardless how you build
>> the theme, to maintain it in a bzr (or any other) repository so you
>> can ask the canonical IS to update to a certain revision
>> <knome> this also enables them to see a diff between the version you
>> are running now and the version you are requesting
>> <knome> this is important because all changes more or less go
>> through code review to make sure it's safe
>> <amjjawad> Indeed.
>> <amjjawad> Can I share this with my team?
>> <knome> this is a public channel - of course
>> <amjjawad> I know, just thought to double check :)
>> <amjjawad> Many thanks. If that will work for us, we're sticking
>> with them. If not, I have a decent web hosting service (a friend)
>> and he has been a great help and just given me some discount for
>> non-profit projects. We will see which option is best for us.
>> <knome> good luck
>> <amjjawad> To be honest, I love the design of Xubuntu. I wish I
>> could build something similar.
>> <amjjawad> Thank you knome appreciate your time :)

Nice. Go and give it a shot. If we're past the initial "struggle" with
this I am guessing keeping the hosting there would be the 'best' option,
still.

>> Greets,
>> Jasper
>
> On the other hand:
>
> Ah okay. Basically for you Ali, whatever package you choose I will
> give you it for the same price as the one below. Advanced, you will
> get same price as starter. Business you can have the same price as
> advanced and webmaster you can have for the same price as business.
>
> https://austenite.co.uk/
>
> I just got special discount from my friend.
>
> Here are our options. Let's choose wisely :)
>
> I know whenever money is involved, people run away. Think twice before
> you run away and by you, I mean all of you.
>
> When GNOME had problem:
> http://ubuntugnome.org/defend-gnome-campaign/
>
> Look how much they had:
> https://gnome.org/groupon/
>
>> THIS MATTER IS RESOLVED! Thank you for all the support that you have
>> given us! The response to this campaign was overwhelming, with 5622
>> individuals contributing USD 102,608.76 to help the GNOME Foundation
>> defend its trademark.
>
> Why donating 1USD for Ubuntu GNOME is a HUGE issue and bad nightmare?!

To be fair, if you try and download the plain Ubuntu you first see a
"paywall" (you can choose to just download instead of paying if you
prefer). Maybe that page/principle is usable for UG as well?

> Again, if I have income, I'd take care of the whole thing myself :)
>
> Sadly, I don't and therefore, we need to work as one team.

We do have options :) I'll get on IRC sometime soon to follow the
discussions a bit more (Want to be more involved in this project, so if
you have any suggestions :))