[Ubuntugnome-artwork] [Artwork] Ubuntu GNOME - the new logo by Patrik Bubak

Patrik Bubák bubapa at protonmail.ch
Sat Jul 11 10:14:14 UTC 2015

To everyone jumping into any subjective conclusions - you ought to consider some of the pressing facts:

Nothing from the original GNOME logo can be used as a standalone to point a user to Ubuntu GNOME. If you use the GNOME foot on its own without any text/wordmark you are directly pointing the user to GNOME, not Ubuntu GNOME - understand this before you say anything.

Those who want to keep the gnome foot in the logo - that is not going to happen any more. It means using somebody else's identity, which is a technical mistake and a violation at the same time. GNOME gave us permission previously, but that doesn't last and doesn't clearly communicate us as a distribution, while all you see is the component (the GNOME desktop).

Using someone else's logo as your own is not the right way to go, because you're using somebody else's identity to identify yourself, which in most cases is illegal. Take it like somebody used Nike's logo in a roundel with just the colour changed. Do you really believe people wouldn't be confused? Would Nike like that? No.

When you modify somebody else's logo to suit yours you are directly violating some rights, hence modifying the GNOME foot anyhow didn't come as an option either and we had to make other choices.

To the newcomers to the game: first before mentioning anything consider, that we as the design team and me in particular as the logo author, had to go through a lot of thinking and research before what was born as mutual agreement of an idea that would be the logo. I had to make mainly decisions that would be right legally. To please everyone's eye, which I know will never be possible because there will always be a sense of nostalgia when a major change occurs, is a difficult task and if we should listen to every single "idea" we would never get anywhere, ever.

To quote: "

Another

logo for "gnome" is a 'thumb' or even a 'hat', a 'pipe', a

'toadstool', a 'tree' as long as it's something organic or natural."

- really? A thumb? That idea inclines more to Facebook than us.

- a hat? You mean Red Hat? Sorry, that idea has already been used by a corporation backing Fedora and would be a cheap imitation.

- a pipe? I don't see how that anyhow directly points to us and it's also something that changes the identity completely and might seem confusing, and a lot. Somehow you don't doubt that idea at all, but you doubt the current interpretation.

- a tree? I understand your "trying", but believe me, been there done that.

Now don't take this offensively, it's not meant to be, but shift into my shoes for a moment and understand that the decision I made is there for the right reason and every notion behind it is in place.

Nothing ruins creativity like too many voices weighing in. We call it the Ice Cream Principle. Tell 10 people to go get ice cream with one condition: they all have to agree on one flavour. That flavour is going to be chocolate or vanilla every time. Groups of people don't agree on what's cool or interesting, they agree on what's easy to agree on.