Upgrade to 14.10 and ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging problem

Ben ben.lists at bsb.me.uk
Thu Nov 6 14:14:23 UTC 2014

Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 10:06:54PM +0000, Ben wrote:
>
>> Following the advice found here:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME#Upgrading_Ubuntu_GNOME
>>
>> I ran "sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging" before upgrading
>> (from 14.04) and I got a very long list of rather scary sounding
>> suggestions.
>
> Yes, I've experienced that as well.  I'll tell you how it went for me
> (spoilers: the upgrade was successful):

Thank you for this excellent summary of how it went for you.  It's
brought some clarity where I saw only obfuscation.

I'll put your message to one side until I'm feeling up to upgrading
because I can't, right now, afford much of an interruption to what I'm
doing.

When (if!) I do, I'll try to remember to take notes and report back.

<snip>
> And then I added the PPAs back and upgraded to GNOME 3.14, which was a
> fun story full of segfaults and debugging.

I don't think I'll be dong that.  3.12 may be fine for me for a while.

> Hope that helps!

Yes, thanks again.

<snip>
--