GNOME 3.12

Tim darkxst at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 26 22:19:52 UTC 2014

On 27/03/14 08:18, Hashem Nasarat wrote:
> I'm not surprised that as an official flavor, you must stick to the
> release schedule. However, that is not what I was talking about. The
> whole reason that Ubuntu releases in months 4 and 10 is because GNOME
> releases in months 3 and 9. Historically Ubuntu would spend the 1 month
> in between integrating the latest GNOME release.
It takes way longer than 1 month to update the entire GNOME stack in the archives ;)

Now historically (GNOME 2 days), things were quite stable in that there were not major intrusive changes each cycle. This made it fairly easy
for Ubuntu to track the current development release. Now with GNOME3 is still under heavy development with big changes each cycle! These changes
in particular cause major issues from the diverged Unity stack.

> In recent releases, Ubuntu has still shipped roughly 1 month after
> GNOME, but they no longer integrate the latest GNOME release (instead
> opting for the second-latest).
>
> My point was to ask if you think it is possible for Ubuntu GNOME 14.10
> to release with GNOME 3.14 (again returning to having an Ubuntu ship the
> latest GNOME).
I am going to say no here, for one it won't even be possible until Ubuntu's convergence plan MIR/Unity8 is complete. Secondly the release dates
are still just too close together. It would probably be different if we had an extra month, i.e 3.14.1 then 1 month to stabilise, however that
would make it 14.11, which will never happen!

Ultimately it comes down to stability vs bleeding edge:

We can ship a rock-solid stable release with GNOME-1

*or*

We can ship a buggy unstable release with current GNOME

I am pretty sure most users would prefer the first option, and the ones that want bleeding-edge are generally happy to use the PPA!