Linux is far from being free of malware??!!

William wjckc79 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 14:07:13 UTC 2014

One of the biggest problems with Linux and viruses has nothing to do
with Linux itself getting infected. One of the more common Linux virus
related scenarios involves someone running Linux receiving an infected
email from someone running Windows. The computer running Linux does not
get infected, but it does pass it on if the email is forwarded.

Personally, in over a decade of running Linux I have never had a virus.
You pretty much have to be socially engineered into it. As Manuel
pointed out, know where you are installing your software from. I can
see a potential scenario where a user searches for a PPA for something
common, and then installs the first one they see looking at the PPA
itself which may not be official and could contain the software they
are looking for, recompiled with a vulnerability. That could be
especially disastrous if you install a kernel with wget and don't pay
attention to the URL.