No Canonical spying left in Ubuntu GNOME?

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Wed Feb 5 15:43:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM, Christian Dysthe <cdysthe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi :)

> One of my main reasons for leaving stock Ubuntu for Ubuntu GNOME was the
> spying and sales pitches through the HUD in Unity. I couldn't find a way
> to get rid of it all. I do like Gnome Shell a lot but there are aspects
> of Ubuntu I would not like to give up (like PPA access) so Ubuntu GNOME
> was as close as I could get to what I had.
>
> One question I have though is whether all of the spyware like additions
> to stock Ubuntu is gone in Ubuntu GNOME (as long as I do not add any
> Unity related packages to my system)?. I just would like to have
> confirmed that Ubuntu GNOME is clean in this regard.

We're not using (obviously) Unity, hence the name of our system (Ubuntu
GNOME).

Linux supposed to be secure and has no such thing as spying :)

I am not really sure from where exactly that came from? seems to me a cheap
joke by Linux hater who are trying to shake the solid ground but that is my
personal opinion.

I'm not expert in Security but if you're too much worried about spying
stuff, you shouldn't use Facebook or any other Social Media Network. In
fact, there is nothing 100% secure over the Internet. I'm sure you're
following the news :)

> It's a phenomenal distro btw. Love it so far! :)

Thank you for your feedback.

Ubuntu GNOME is indeed a great system :)
Enjoy!

> --
> //Christian
> Dropbox - Your stuff anywhere! - https://db.tt/U8MqkVR

*Remember: *"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

Ubuntu GNOME OneStopPage <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage>
Join Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GettingInvolved>
Test Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Testing>
Contact Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs>