[Ubuntugnome-comms] Ubuntu GNOME Brasil - Facebook Group

Keith I Myers keithiokepamyers at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 04:06:09 UTC 2014

Good Morning All,
First, sorry for my slow responses, I am in the process of remodeling the
house and my desk is still not put back together. That is my goal for
tomorrow. I wanted to weigh in on this a bit, forgive me for rambling but
this is to encourage discussion.

Ubuntu has always been a distribution that valued the community as a whole,
and by extension, Ubuntu Gnome should also share this value. Communities
can be both officially sanctioned by the Ubuntu GNOME team as well as by
community members as unofficial communities. With this said, there are a
few limits that need to be respected, regardless of the decision.

   - Canonical owns trademarks to the Ubuntu branding and the use of it in
   unofficial communities may be frowned upon.
   - If the group were to give the illusion of an official community,
   control of the community should be in the hands of the Ubuntu GNOME team
   rather than an individual person.
   - If the group were to exist as an unofficial annex to the Ubuntu GNOME
   main communities, then it would need to mention that as such. All logos
   would need to be used in accordance to the Ubuntu Branding Guidelines.
   - Having communities of like minded users who speak the same language is
   always a good thing. It will instill a comfort level with newer users and
   help to attract more users to the cause.
   - Unofficial communities should not post their own "Official
   Announcements" however should be welcomed to re-share content (translated)
   linking back to the official post.

TL:DR - I personally feel that this should exist as a unofficial group,
this would require a modification to the logo (and I have some ideas if you
wish). I am astonished that you managed to gain 15 users so fast and this
shows that there is clearly a need for such a group. Localized groups are a
great thing however this would be very difficult for the Ubuntu GNOME
social media team to moderate as we do not have speakers in every language
that we do users.

Thoughts?

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Ali/amjjawad <amjjawad at gnome.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Carlos Vinícius Ferrer <
> carlosvferrer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Good evening, folks.
>>

> Hi Carlos,
>

>> I came here to inform you that today I created the Facebook group called
>> 'Ubuntu GNOME Brasil' with the intention of exchanging experiences with other
>> Brazilian Ubuntu GNOME users and also for disclosure, marketing and
>> recruiting new volunteers.
>>
>> Within hours, we are already the mark of 15 people in the group.
>>
>> This is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/288751181335120/
>>
>> If you have any suggestions of how to run the group, please write here.
>>

> While I sure do know this came from pure and good intention to help us
> grow bigger worldwide, my one and only concern is how these sites/channels
> will be administrated?
>
> Our official channels are:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs
>
> Any other channel that is not listed under:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs
>
> IMHO, we can't 'yet' call it official or belong to us. Thus, using any
> banner or logo that belongs to Ubuntu GNOME and then of course Canonical
> might not be the wise move.
>
> But, this is unexpected move. When you ask people to help translating your
> document into their native language, they would think of creating such
> group which I totally understand and appreciate of course.
>
> I think, we need some guidelines in this regard. Such efforts must be
> (IMHO) under the official LoCo Team of Ubuntu on that country.
>
> Let's see what Keith and others have in mind about this and maybe we need
> a quick meeting OR a discussion over here because I'm sure more will come
> soon (similar groups).
>

>> Thank you, guys.
>>

> Thank you very much!
>

>> --
>> *Carlos Vinícius Ferrer Costa*
>>

>> --

> Best Regards,
> Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
> *Remember: *"All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>
> Ubuntu GNOME OneStopPage <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage>
> http://torios.org - StartUbuntu <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu> -
> http://amjjawad.net
>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME>