Don't forget the ppa-purge!

Ali/amjjawad amjjawad at gnome.org
Fri Apr 18 08:08:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:

> Just a reminder that if you forget to ppa-purge the GNOME 3 PPA,
> upgrading from 13.10 to 14.04 is going to get very painful.

Thank you for your reminder, highly appreciate that :)

There is a reason why I sent this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-gnome/2014-April/001887.html

and inside this link:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuGNOME#Upgrading_from_last_release

there is a note that is the same as your reminder :)

That is why we do ask people to actually 'read' the release notes before
anything but what shall we do? if someone is too excited and ignore the
release notes?

I've been doing nothing for the last hours but reminding everyone about
this ... hope they will listen :)

> (I'm currently mucking about with aptitude in /dev/tty1 because I forgot
> to run ppa-purge in all the excitement.  I hope the way my GUI upgrade
> process crashed about 10% in by just deciding to stop gdm was caused by
> the same reason and isn't a genuine bug in the Ubuntu gdm package.)
>
> Marius Gedminas,
> --
> In order to get a loan you must first prove you don't need it.

Thank you again, appreciate that :)

Enjoy and have fun!

*Remember: *"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

Ubuntu GNOME OneStopPage <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage>
Join Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GettingInvolved>
Test Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Testing>
Contact Ubuntu GNOME <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs>