[Testing] Low Resolution Install Problem

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 17:05:20 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 3:28 AM, Manuel Cuadra <manuelcua at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Okay, let me try to understand this clearly.
> >
> > Are you trying to Install the system?
>

> Yes! I've been doing QA Testings with three diferent machines that I have:
>
> 1. Quad Core Intel Abit IP35 Pro, Nvidia GTX260
> 2. Eeepc 10000H
> 3. AMD Athlon X 2 with RADEON HD integrated

That is good to know :)
Please, have a read at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam#Joining
and please, list your machines on the table - see Hardware Link on that
page.

> > Did you choose "Try Ubuntu GNOME without installation" OR you chose
> "Install
> > Ubuntu GNOME" Directly from the Boot Menu?
> >

> The QA Testing tells you to press "Install Gnome", not go into a live
> session, and that's the point because the first resolution it finds is
> 600x800 on one of my machines, and just because of that little extra
> height of the title bars on the windows it hides the buttons at the
> bottom.

Being a 3 years tester for Ubuntu Communities, I do test each and every
possible thing. "Try Ubuntu GNOME without Installation" is there for a
reason and we need to cover each and everything ;)

Any Screenshot? or picture?

> >> Should I file this as a bug??
> >

> > Let's hold that until you reply :D
> >

> >> because there will be some people that
> >> will install this on low resolution screens like Netbooks, it almost
> >> seems like it needs at least 768 of height to display a complete
> >> window and be able to install without problems.
> >

> > The Q is, not what kind of monitor a user may have, the real Q is what
> kind
> > of Hardware a user is using?
> > Let's keep in mind that Ubuntu GNOME is not for old machines and Notebook
> > with low hardware specifications? I'd be very very interested to know how
> > Ubuntu GNOME can perform on these machines :)
> >
> For the specs of my machines the oldest one is the eeepc 1000H and all
> the installs work perfectly there, because it finds the 1024x768
> resolution first.

Glad that your machine and similar machines can handle Ubuntu GNOME :)

> I know its the monitors fault, but the normal ubuntu install does not
> add the extra height on the windows so you can still see the buttons
> on the screen with low resolution.

As I asked, I'd appreciate to see a picture just for extra explanation and
to see how bad it is.

If this issue with Ubiquity, then it should affect all the other flavour -
someone corrects me please if I am wrong :)

I am sorry if I am not following 100%, that is because tons of emails. I
think I need to pause my mind for few mins between each email :D