GNOME Apps in UbuntuGNOME

Fran Dieguez fran.dieguez at mabishu.com
Tue Sep 17 22:23:12 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

After an awesome work from Tim, almost all the errors I've been
reporting are now fixed or close to be fixed. So now that everything is
in a good shape to get a gorgeous UbuntuGNOME release and an "stable"
integration with the 3.10 version (at least available through PPAs), I
have to ask to look a little bit forward.

I know that GNOME 3.10 will be officially published next 25th and from
that day the final tarballs will be published and available for
packagers to work with, but I want to know if the new app previews will
be available from the staging PPA. I'm talking specifically about
gnome-maps and gnome-music.

I think that Tim or Jeremy could give some information about this topic.
Will you wait for Debian to package those apps or are you building your
own packages? I'm not trying to make you work more than necessary but I
would like to know what is your procedure in these cases. IMHO, I will
wait for Debian if they have plans to package them and after that "copy"
them to the staging PPA.

I really think that GNOME is taking a good shape with an integrated UI
and UX among all the former apps and creating a good set of new apps. I
don't know about all of you but I'm really excited about the future of
GNOME with Wayland as a base and with the improvements due to the new CSD.

What do you reckon?

Regards.