Issue with the Beta 1 on a Dell XPS13 + UEFI + Win8

Romuald TISSERAND rtisserand at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 12:08:42 UTC 2013

Hi, as I wrote on G+, I'm facing lot of issues with this beta.
I need to make a double boot with Windows 8. And as I read UEFI is now well
supported by Ubuntu, I setup my PC Bios to use UEFI (SecureBoot is
disabled).

I used the Rufus software to burn a UEFI compliant USB Key with UG 13.10
Beta.

First issue : the USB key starts in UEFI but the display (HD4000) is not
correctly managed, then the PC is not usable. Bios setup to start in Legacy
mode, the LiveCD starts well.

Once started (so in Legacy mode), if I double click on "Install Ubuntu
Gnome", nothing happens at all. I don't know the command to launch it in a
terminal.

Another issue: I started directly to "Install Ubuntu Gnome". The GUI starts
well, but I connect to my Wifi network. If I click on its name, nothing
happens. This works well if I just start on the LiveCD. -> I restarted the
process and was able to launch correctly Ubiquity but directly by choosing
"Directly install..." at boot.

As the SSD is UEFI, Ubuntu doesn't detect Windows, I guess this is normal,
but any documentation pointer to deal with would be great.

romu