[Lubuntu-comms] People do not understand the desktop installer

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:05:05 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 2013-10-24 15:31, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>> >
>> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com
>> > <mailto:nio.wiklund at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     Hi everybody,
>> >
>> >     Today, there is another person, who misunderstood the partitioning
>> >     dialogue of the desktop installer.
>> >
>> >     http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183287
>> >
>> >     'When I went to install 13.10 I chose the option to remove windows
>> and
>> >     replace with Ubuntu. I had two partitions when I chose this. One
>> with
>> >     files I wanted to keep and the other being the windows 7 partition.
>> When
>> >     I chose to remove windows I assumed it would be placed on my C
>> drive and
>> >     not my other one. But what actually ended up happening was all my
>> >     partitions merged into one deleting everything. Now I only have
>> Ubuntu
>> >     on my drive. I need help retrieving my files please!'
>> >
>> >     -o-
>> >
>> >     This is what I have been telling, when describing the One Button
>> >     Installer
>> >
>> >     '...
>> >     Case 1: Tool that is easy to use and just works
>> >
>> >     The normal linux installers that come with iso files are
>> complicated to
>> >     use or freeze during the installation process, and you want a tool
>> that
>> >     is easier to use and just works.
>> >     a. The Desktop Installer is flexible and looks nice, and is
>> generally
>> >     easy to understand, but the partitioning page can make people
>> confused.
>> >     There are several threads at the Ubuntu Forums describing
>> installations,
>> >     where a previous system has been overwritten by mistake. ...'
>> >
>> >     It is really too bad, and something that should be improved in 14.04
>> >
>> >     Best regards
>> >     Nio
>> >

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > All that can be solved in one two 'very' simple steps:
>> >
>> > 1- Create a YouTube Video that explains in details HOWTO Install Ubuntu
>> > with all the possible cases
>> > 2- Add a link for that YouTube Video right next to the Download Link so
>> > those who download Ubuntu or any flavour can 'watch' and 'learn' how to
>> > install the system
>> >
>> > Time is money and saving time is a very important factor in just 6
>> > months cycle :)
>> >
>> > Just a very quick thought!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>> > Best Regards,
>> > amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>> > Areas of Involvement <
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/AreasOfInvolvement>
>> > My Projects <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/Projects>
>>
>> 1. I do think it is important to improve the text in the installer itself

> [...]

Thanks a lot, Nio :D

You have reminded me to add a very important note that I forgot to add!!!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME

http://ubuntugnome.org/download

Once my voice is back to normal (when this ugly flu leaves me alone), I
might create a Video and Adding it to our Area on Ubuntu GNOME Website and
Wiki Page :)

Highly appreciate the inspiration :D