[FEEDBACK] Rating Ubuntu GNOME 13.10

Julien Olivier julo42 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 18:21:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

a few weeks before the release, I tested it and reported what I
considered as a release blocker: the network doesn't come back after
resuming from suspend
( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1184262
). For laptop users, this is indeed a very critical bug!

Now, the distribution is officially released and the bug is still there.
And nothing seems to indicate that anyone really cares about this
showstopper (apart from its victims of course).

This kind of behaviour from Canonical is very frustrating because it is
commonly thought that, by testing and reporting bugs, you help making
better releases. But when you do this, find a critical bug and report
it, and then see it totally ignored, you just don't want to help any
more, sadly.

I know all that is more Canonical's fault than the Ubuntu-GNOME team's
fault, and so I still consider the Ubuntu GNOME project a great project.
But I'm really not very confident any more in Canonical...

Well, in conclusion, I will give a mere 4/10 mark to this release
because, currently, it is almost unusable for most laptop users. But I
want to stress again that this is more an Ubuntu issue than an Ubuntu
GNOME issue.

As for the work done on integrating GNOME in Ubuntu, I want to
congratulate everyone and thank you for the great work! If it wasn't for
this bug, I would have given a 9/10 mark (9 only, because of this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/1235933 ).