Can not change background

Mark Blakeney mark.blakeney at bullet-systems.net
Tue Oct 22 02:07:46 UTC 2013

Thanks Tim. As I just added on the bug, I was proceeding to generate a
bug report but I discovered that the problem is likely to be related to
the standard gnome image viewer, eog. Eog displays most jpeg files
on my system in corrupted form, usually most of the image is black but
sometimes I see corrupted terminal windows (probably mine). All other
image viewers show the images fine (e.g. feh, chrome, firefox, gimp,
imagemagick, etc). I also find that gnome-control-center crashes trying
to add a background whether I have "File manager manages the desktop" or
not. I have changed by default viewer to feh so now all images look fine
when I click on them in Nautilus etc now, but the "change background"
function still crashes. I was able to actually change the background
image by right clicking in Nautilus and "set as background".

I had a look around launchpad for eog bug reports like above and found
quite a few describing the same symptoms, mostly from older versions of
Ubuntu though. Just seems like at 13.10 I have picked up one of those
random annoying Ubuntu ghost bugs that haunt around launchpad forever.

I have found a few other bugs in my fresh install of Ubuntu GNOME 13.10
and have added/annotated them on launchpad. The broken keyboard shortcuts
is the most serious imho.