[Discussion/Opinion] Ubuntu 14.04 LTS To Stay On GTK/GNOME 3.8?

Manuel Cuadra manuelcua at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 18:20:12 UTC 2013

> In terms of a LTS release it would make sense to stick with GNOME 3.8. I
> have been running Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 for about a week on my main
> computer and I feel that this release has all the stability requirements
> to be considered LTS. As for GNOME 3.10 couldn't it be backported to a
> ppa so the adventurous could give it a try.

I've been using Gnome 3.10 and it's not that much unstable, I can
actually do my work with no problems, it's just the main programs that
need some refinement.
In the article, the main thing that worries them is that the latest
GTK wants to get rid of the icons in menus and icons in buttons, so a
lot of people report that as a bug and think that it's not a good
change...

I do think like @Joe that this could be a PPA to upgrade the version
of Gnome but I think also that Gnome itself is changing anyways and
people that wants to stick with it should be more focused on making it
better, not trying to stop its growth by freezing the version, they
should debate this things on the official gnome project if they want
the icons back to the buttons and menus.