Could we have a UG technical status?

Romuald TISSERAND rtisserand at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 16:35:30 UTC 2013

Hi all,
Even if I didn't read everything, I've seen a lot of messages related to
build the UG communication staff. In my opinion, technical should come
before communication. Some days ago, I posted a message on the UG G+ page
asking for a technical status about the current situation of UG, and more
important, about the future. I've had no answer at all.

Here is what I know:
- UG 13.10 runs Gnome 3.8
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS plans to stay with Gnome 3.8 (2 releases behind Gnome)
- Gnome Shell 3.10 stands in the Gnome3 Next ppa (but only the shell)
- Some Gnome 3.10 applications stand in the Gnome3 Staging but not all (no
Maps, nor Photos, nor Music, etc).

If staging is for unstable Gnome version, so it should contain 3.12
development branch, right? And 3.10 apps should have been included into the
Next ppa, right?

Tim sent a message some weeks ago saying Gnome 3.10 (and future versions as
well) raises an compability issue with the Ubuntu baseline (probably
because of the Upstart Ubuntu initiative versus the systemd used by Gnome).

So I think, and would really appreciate, a clarification about what are the
UG present and future. Don't misunderstand me, I don't do UG bashing. I use
Ubuntu on a daily basis since Breezy Badger (2006?), and I used to run
Gnome in the previous millenium ;-). I like both of them, but to me, Gnome
is more important than Ubuntu. And If I can't run a vanilla Gnome on an
Ubuntu baseline, so be it, I'll switch.

Some people clicked +1 on my G+ message, so I guess I'm not the only guy
trying to see something. I appreciate efforts to build a community (kudo to
Ali for that), but that should come on a second time, when goals and
roadmap are clearly stated for everyone, don't you think?

romu