Nautilus Find is not finding much

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 00:30:10 UTC 2013

Hello,

I could use some ideas, as Nautilus Find doesn't currently work properly
on my Ubuntu Gnome system (13.04, fully updated), and I'm not able to
fix it. The problem is, Nautilus Find is only able to find files when I
search from the default folders.

Search works from following folders and all their subfolders (Home is an
exception):
- Desktop
- Documents
- Downloads
- Music
- Videos
- Home (search works only one level down from Home)

Search doesn't work from the root directory and external devices. Most
of my files are placed in Home, so currently I'm not able to search much.

I recently updated Nautilus**with SolusOS Nautilus 3.4 **patch, but I'm
not sure, if the problem coincided with the update. This also isn't the
first time I have this problem, and previously I have always used
vanilla Nautilus, so I'm inclined to think that the patch isn't the
problem. Previously I didn't test the problem thoroughly, so I don't
know, if the symptoms were exactly the same.

I tried different settings in System tools/Search, but it didn't make
any difference. I specified an exact path to a folder there, but it
didn't make the search work.

Information about SolusOS Nautilus patch:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/get-nautilus-34-features-back-in-ubuntu.html

Thanks,

-Ari-