new install with unetbootin

Erick Brunzell lbsolost at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 12:15:33 UTC 2013

On 07/14/2013 05:59 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
> <mailto:jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'd be grateful if someone could advise. I've been a Ubuntu/Xubuntu
>     user since 2007. I want to install ubuntu-gnome but i'm a little
>     unsure of how to do it with these larger isos for USB/DVD.
>

> Head over: http://ubuntugnome.org/download/
> And download the ISO.
>

>     If one installs unetbootin; one has the option of downloading via
>     a] distribution - i did this for xubuntu and it seems to select an iso
>     from 'live' and all ok to then use in conjunction with PLoP. For some
>     strange reason my two year old PC will not boot from USB despite going
>     into the bios... i just seem to have an option for booting from
>     removable media CD/DVD ok but not USB.
>

> UNetbootin has issue with 13.04 releases. LiveUSB created by
> UNetbootin doesn't really work if you use a 13.04 ISO. That is why,
> the 'dd' command is the best way to go for that because even the disk
> creator has issue.
>

>     b] As ubuntu-gnome isn't on the list i was going to do the manual
>     Diskimage route... downloading the iso first. I found trying to do
>     Diskimage and selecting the downloaded iso didn't seem to work.
>

> You can do a direct download, no need to download that from UNetbootin :)
>

>     The other option i presume is to use Start up disk creator - it's
>     reviews seem poor so i haven't bothered. I'd be grateful if someone
>     could put me right.
>
>     Thanks
>     james
>

> As I mentioned, all my LiveUSB created by UNetbootin and Dick Creator
> failed to boot.
>

> --
>
> "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>
> *Best Regards,*
> *amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
> *Start Ubuntu
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>*
> *My Own Business <http://alilinx.blogspot.com/>*

I've not encountered any issues with UNetbootin either in 13.04 or the
current Saucy dev cycle. No doubt we should ask to get "ubuntu-gnome"
added to the list of available distros, but UNetbootin should be able to
install almost any downloaded iso to any functional flash drive.

That said I'm particularly concerned about your recommendation of using
"dd". It earned it's nickname of Disk Destroyer very honestly!

If someone is having trouble finding the proper location of a downloaded
iso in order to use UNetbootin they're just as likely to get confused
with "dd" which could result in disastrous consequences!

Lance