Ubungut Gnome Install process got problems

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:37:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Ivan Vaselli <ivan.vaselli at gmail.com>wrote:

> I got a hp pavilion 15 e070sl laptop with windows 8.
> I left installed windows 8, disabled secure boot, fast boot and finally
> installed ubuntu gnome but boot used to freeze every time.
> I decided to reinsall, i selected "Delete Ubuntu 13.10 and reinstall"
> On reboot i got the same problem;
> I tried to install again but this time i selected "Other Methods"
> I then noticed that the previous instal process deleted EVERYTHING from
> the hard disk, EVERTYTHING.
> I lost a lot of work, so, please fix this bug so that others won't get
> those problems...

Hello Ivan,

Welcome to Ubuntu GNOME Mailing List :)

I am very sorry for your bad experience and this is not funny at all to
lose your work, data, files, etc. I can understand how bad you feel about
that.

If truth to be told, and I do hope you will not misunderstand what I am
going to write here ... this is NOT the system's fault. Users need and
'must' do a backup for their system NO matter what. Whether you are
installing Linux or any system in this world, backup, backup and backup
before you carry on :) "better safe than sorry".

Also, whenever in doubt, simply ask :)
If you have a bad install at the beginning, you can ask for help:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ContactUs

Linux is not Windows. While many things by re-installing the system, their
problems got be solved, this is not really true. In most cases, you can
solve any issue without the need to do a re-installation. You should have
asked :)

Anyway, as I always believe in and say, if you won't do a mistake, you will
never learn. We are all learning and I hope you will never ever face the
same issue again.

Should you need any help with your instillation, please do ask :)

Thank you for choosing and trying Ubuntu GNOME!