Ubuntu day @ legend

Amr Ali amr.ali.cc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:39:29 UTC 2011

Good luck Mahmoud, its nice to know that we still have such active and energized
Open Source advocates.

Throughout my experience with new comers, I found out that the best way to
approach them is through eye candy, ease of use, user friendliness, and
out-of-box readiness.

Talk is good, but they will keep having the thought "show me the money".
Basically I think that it is best if you had a session with 10-15 PCs all has
Ubuntu installed with all kinds of software and eye candy to have attendees form
groups and play with it. During that you can talk them through some cool stuff,
or present some ideas that could be done easily in Ubuntu and not in windows,
and/or have them ask questions about how to do something in Linux that they used
to do in windows.

Maybe also you can talk about the moral side of "stealing" software by not
paying for it iff the producer didn't allow free usage, and how most of windows
applications and windows itself is costly by the mere choice of using it, as
there are more and more software you will need, while most Linux's repositories
contain some 22k software packages that will cover all of your possible needs
(hypothetically of course, my needs far out weights whats in any repository, but
that is aside from the point :-D). (yes the act of cracking a said software
without paying fees due for using it without the producer consent is stealing,
that's of course aside from the fact that all software should be free, but if
you don't agree, don't use).

Anyways, good luck, and keep it up :-)

~// Amr Ali