teaching in NYC DOE --urge for edubuntu

Charles Profitt cprofitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 3 00:43:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 10:01 -0700, Don Davie wrote:
> I agree with Charles, A well rounded tech that can objectively look at the
> pros and cons of all software is a major plus.   the biggest issue we have
> encountered with opensource and Ubuntu is teacher buy-in.  They are
> comforitable with Microsoft products and that has been the single road block
> to my tech plan.  Our english department went crazy when we didn't puchase
> MS Office!  I even created tutorials on how to open/save
> OpenOffice/LibreOffice in MS Word and a teacher inservice on OpenSource
> software :)

"... teacher buy-in."

That is a tough nut to crack, but I look at it through a different lense
than normal. Teachers can stay on MS Office if they want; let students
use LibreOffice and submit work via .pdf. The focus, for me, is on
student learning and choice. Open Source allows a tremendous wealth of
choice in applications to get the 'job done'.

I do get frustrated when those preaching 'life long learning' throw up
roadblocks because they do not want to learn.

Charles