Hi!

Nancy McKeand namckeand at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 03:13:06 BST 2010

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

I have a lot of experience using Moodle.  I love it.  Last fall a group of us used instead of Blackboard at the university, but we were denied access to the network to use it in the spring.  I use Moodle all the time for an online class I teach for a foreign university.

As for Schooltool, which Tom said might not be a good fit for my university needs, I really like what I have seen so far.  I have set it up on my own laptop, and that is how I would run it.  Security is the big issue as far as the university is concerned.  If I can figure out how to have it send from my university email account, the fact that I can send grade reports straight to the students email accounts should eliminate some concerns.

I am afraid my university is very afraid of anything not Windows-based.  We have a  language lab running XP.  My office computer runs Vista.  I am afraid we are too technology-rich  for me to make any inroads there.  The only concessions they have made is to allow me to run OpenOffice on my desktop  and on the laptop that belongs to my program.

Again, thanks for the welcome.  I will continue to poke around  and  see if I can find my niche!

Nancy