No subject

Mon Aug 23 22:26:03 BST 2010

tutorials on setting up a LTSP lab in a school with Lucid.  It needs an
easily-updatable pathway to create a 10.10 BasicSetup page...  With a good
'Hub' page Edubuntu would be open to many more tech inclined educators...

Good luck
David

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Caroline Meeks <caroline at meekshome.com>wrote:

> Hi Belinda,
>
> You might want to talk to Maine Open 1 to 1 (open1to1.org) they are a
> Ubuntu netbook remix remix that is being used by a couple thousand students
> in Maine on netbooks.  There are also deployments in NH and VT.  They just
> started last year, this year they are working on being more involved in the
> Ubuntu community.  We are also working to put Sugar, which is currently
> being ported to Ubuntu (Ubuntu Sugar Remix) into this remix also.
>
> I am working with the Boston area Ubuntu community and folks from Tufts and
> Harvard to do a stick based deployment in Somerville where we will give
> families in housing projects refurbished computers and each person in the
> family a bootable USB sticks with Open 1 to 1 (or maybe a different mix of
> software for the parents).  We will work with community computer centers to
> give classes and use these spaces to provide internet access.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Thanks for doing this work.
>
> Caroline
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Belinda Lopez <
> belinda.lopez at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings all!
>>   I'm working on a short-term assignment to review and update
>> Canonical's Ubuntu in Education resources.  This includes making the
>> various websites easier to use for end user like students, parents,
>> educators as well as solution providers and others who want to do
>> business in the Education market place using Ubuntu and its
>> derivatives.  The Education sector is an important space on many levels
>> to both Canonical and Ubuntu.  I can't make any promises other than it
>> being a personal goal of mine to help drive the adoption of Ubuntu in
>> Education at every level so for starters I'm opening up the dialog with
>> the community on best to use the limited resources Canonical currently
>> has to develop some new content for the following audiences:
>>
>> End users: students, parents, educators
>> School level adoptions: decision makers
>> District/regional deployments; policy makers
>> Solution Providers: those delivering services and hardware to the
>> Education sector.
>>
>> If you have any thoughts on what each audience needs to know please
>> voice your thoughts here or email me privately.  I've also added this
>> item to the Edubuntu meeting agenda to help further the conversation.
>>
>> Also, does anyone have idea of how many schools might be using
>> Ubuntu/Edubuntu? or if there is some place we can ask people to let us
> [...]

--00c09f972942ad9933048f3c6810

Nice!=A0 Cool things are happening...<br><br>Belinda, I just got an e-mail =
from someone who was looking to install LTSP on edubuntu lucid and was aski=
ng what he needed beyond the instructions on <a href=3D"https://wiki.ubuntu=
.com/edubuntu/installlucid">this page</a> I had written.=A0 I referred him =
to <a href=3D"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/installLTSPlucid">this page<=
/a> as well as <a href=3D"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuDocumen=
tation/EdubuntuCookbook/BasicSetup">the basicsetup page</a>.=A0 From my poi=
nt of view, a critical resource would be a complete set of tutorials on set=
ting up a LTSP lab in a school with Lucid.=A0 It needs an easily-updatable =
pathway to create a 10.10 BasicSetup page...=A0 With a good &#39;Hub&#39; p=
age Edubuntu would be open to many more tech inclined educators...<br>
0 at 5:40 PM, Caroline Meeks <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:caroli=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1=
px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi Belinda,<br><br>You might want to talk to Maine Open 1 to 1 (<a href=3D"=
http://open1to1.org" target=3D"_blank">open1to1.org</a>) they are a Ubuntu =
netbook remix remix that is being used by a couple thousand students in Mai=
ne on netbooks.=A0 There are also deployments in NH and VT.=A0 They just st=
arted last year, this year they are working on being more involved in the U=
buntu community.=A0 We are also working to put Sugar, which is currently be=
ing ported to Ubuntu (Ubuntu Sugar Remix) into this remix also.<br>

 and Harvard to do a stick based deployment in Somerville where we will giv=
e families in housing projects refurbished computers and each person in the=
 family a bootable USB sticks with Open 1 to 1 (or maybe a different mix of=
 software for the parents).=A0 We will work with community computer centers=
 to give classes and use these spaces to provide internet access.<br>

g 31, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Belinda Lopez <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
o:belinda.lopez at canonical.com" target=3D"_blank">belinda.lopez at canonical.co=

0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;"><div>=
 =A0 I&#39;m working on a short-term assignment to review and update<br>
Canonical&#39;s Ubuntu in Education resources. =A0This includes making the<=
br>
various websites easier to use for end user like students, parents,<br>
educators as well as solution providers and others who want to do<br>
business in the Education market place using Ubuntu and its<br>
derivatives. =A0The Education sector is an important space on many levels<b=
r>
to both Canonical and Ubuntu. =A0I can&#39;t make any promises other than i=
t<br>
being a personal goal of mine to help drive the adoption of Ubuntu in<br>
Education at every level so for starters I&#39;m opening up the dialog with=
the community on best to use the limited resources Canonical currently<br>
has to develop some new content for the following audiences:<br>
End users: students, parents, educators<br>
School level adoptions: decision makers<br>
District/regional deployments; policy makers<br>
Solution Providers: those delivering services and hardware to the<br>
Education sector.<br>
If you have any thoughts on what each audience needs to know please<br>
voice your thoughts here or email me privately. =A0I&#39;ve also added this=
item to the Edubuntu meeting agenda to help further the conversation.<br>
Also, does anyone have idea of how many schools might be using<br>
Ubuntu/Edubuntu? or if there is some place we can ask people to let us<br>
know about their schools?<br>
thanks,<br>
Belinda/dinda<br>
Education<br>