Set of "BasicSetup" how-to's" for Lucid Edubuntu

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 03:37:24 BST 2010

Hey Jonathan--I'm a big fan of well-done screencasts.  I'm making
some for my students, for example, 'how do you make bubbles with
links with CmapTools' etc.   Here are some characteristics of good
instructional videos.  Like any criteria they should be used in
moderation...

--They are short, ideally 2 minutes max.  This involves processing
the screen cast afterwards to remove non-necessary stuff, also
planning ahead of time helps as well to make sure you get all the
bases covered.
--They have enough resolution so that you can read what's going on
without too much squinting
--There is text to accompany them with code that can be copied/pasted
and instructions that can be edited/improved--wiki style and read and
re-read as needed.
--I really like sound, otherwise my attention wanders all over the
place :-)

Here's an example of one I really like--Probably needs to be updated
to Lucid of course--that's one of the things about documentation of
Ubuntu with new version every 6 months :)

If you find some good ones, link to them on the BasicSetup page (like
the one above by LNS--thanks Jordan!).

David