[ec2] Bug... somewhere :-P

Guillem Cantallops Ramis gcantallops at gridsystems.com
Tue May 19 14:13:51 BST 2009

Hi All,

Sometimes (this has happened in roughly half of my tests) I cannot SSH
to the Ubuntu instances I launch on EC2 and my user-data scripts aren't
executed. The only solution is terminating the rogue instances and
trying again. It works, eventually, but this is both annoying and expensive.

I'm attaching two logs I got from the AWS Console, showing a good boot
and a bad one, I'm sure you will spot the differences at the end.
Fortunately there are clues there.

I would be very happy to use official Ubuntu images for several demos,
running our own software (a grid middleware) in EBS volumes and
launching it from a user-data script. But if this fails half of the
time, I can't!

Any help will be appreciated. Regards,

--
G. Cantallops Ramis <gcantallops at gridsystems.com>