[ec2] Nagios Issue

Micah Walter micahwalter at me.com
Mon May 11 14:04:15 BST 2009

Hi,
As mentioned in a previous email I am having some issue with
installing Nagios. Everything seems to work just fine, but Nagios is
reporting that my gateway is down. When I ping the gateway manually I
also see it as being down.

At first I thought this was either one of two problems. 1) There is
some reason why an EC2 instance would not have an actual "gateway." 2)
There was something wrong with my instance configuration.

So, I started up a new instance based on the most recent 8.10 AMI. I
installed Nagios3 using the following commands and when I logged in
the same thing was happening--gateway down.

sudo apt-get install nagios3
cd /etc/nagios3
sudo htpasswd -c htpasswd.users nagiosadmin

Has anyone else ran into this problem? For what it's worth, the
instance seems to working just fine, and Nagios is reporting
everything else up and running smoothly. So, I am mostly curious about
how the EC2 "gateway" is set up and why it would be unreachable...

Any thoughts?

Micah