[ec2-beta] EC2 tools in most recent official Ubuntu AMIs

Dav Clark dav at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 7 02:05:04 BST 2009

I didn't really think to try this.  But, all I needed to do was point
ElasticFox at the manifest and everything went fine  (Thanks to Jeremy
& ElasticFox!).  Thus, I'm pretty sure this is some issue which at
least involves my API tools (ec2-register) and not the canonical image
alone (though it could be the interaction of these two things).

It still seems that one _should_ be able to register an AMI derived
from the canonical images with the command-line ec2-register script,
and I don't know why I can't.  I think ElasticFox uses the http style
access identifiers, and the java API tools use the RSA keys.  But
again, my java tools are able to start instances and so forth... so
I'm pretty sure I have that all configured properly.

I'm happy to help with debugging this situation, but I really have no
idea where to start, and it doesn't cause me any problems... I'll just
use ElasticFox in lieu of the Amazon API tools.  So, I likely won't
pursue it on my own.

Thanks!
Dav

ps - Thanks also to Eric for the quick orientation on the AMI / API
distinction.