[ec2-beta] ec2 concepts and understanding

Darryl smartssa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:28:30 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm just wondering about how persistent these instances are supposed to be
on the EC2 cloud.

I setup one up last night using the AMI id (ami-69d73000) from the
EC2StartersGuide and thought it was pretty cool.  I installed some things
(apache and friends) and played around with it a bit for performance. Then,
to avoid unwanted costs, I shut it down.

I went back today to play around again, but the instance I had created was
gone.

Since it was gone, I had to create a new one using the same AMI and restart
from scratch.

So, I guess my questions are:

What purpose does this AMI serve if one has to reconfigure it from scratch
before using it?
How can setup a handful of 'ready to go' servers that could be turned on
without them mysteriously vanishing?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
--