[ec2-beta] the ubuntu users home directory

Michael Greenly mgreenly at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 14:25:37 GMT 2009

Deviations from almost all other AMIs on Amazon.

If you're going to do something different it should be because there's an
advantage.  Not just because it's different.  I don't care for the sudo
through ubuntu configuration but that's a different argument. Instead in
this thread I'm trying to make two suggestions that will make it easier to
live with.

Using a reserved UID for the ubuntu user and moving it's home directory to
/ubuntu.  Both have practical advantages.

The UID change will make it less likely that some one migrating an existing
application/server to the distribution will have a collision to deal with in
UID space and that any scripts or applications that make (stupid) default
assumptions about /home are not wrong.

> To which the answer seems to be "That means you're no longer using
> Ubuntu the way it was intended. So why use Ubuntu in the first place?"

Only Ubuntu's users and contributors can determine how it's intended to be
used and no one should be trying to make that judgement for some one else.
Least of all you for me!

Neither of these are an issue for me.  I've already worked around them.
But... that's my point though I had to work around problems.  I'm offering
solutions that would of allowed me to avoid those obstacles.  Honestly how
many instances are running these AMIs for production purposes?  I can't
imagine all that many?.  It takes time to migrate production servers and
these AMIs have not been out all that long.  I'd venture a guess that the
majority of the Ubuntu based instances out there are still running Eric's
excellent alestic AMIs.

--
Michael Greenly
http://blog.michaelgreenly.com