[ec2] Script of rolling EBS volume snapshots?

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Tue Jun 23 03:54:43 BST 2009

Jeffrey:

I've had almost a year to enhance and fine tune the original, simplistic
EBS snapshot script I posted in this tutorial:
http://ec2ebs-mysql.notlong.com

Doing hourly snapshots in multiple production environments I have
experienced all kinds of different failure modes and edge case
conditions on master and slave databases and on EBS volumes without
databases.

Through all this, the snapshot software has been refined locally into
something that is pretty robust and flexible with a number of tricks to
avoid interfering with the live operation of a production system.

I'm going to be publishing the code soon, but if you want a preview
copy, drop me a line.  I would appreciate feedback from others who can
test it in their own environments.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com