[ec2] swap?

Darren Govoni darren at ontrenet.com
Sun Jul 26 22:06:25 BST 2009

Hi Rob,
   According to the launchpad bug, it seems related to a bug in the
kernel at the moment, but as yet I am only assuming my issue is related
to the documented bug because of the description.

My new data shows this.

My system runs fine for about 15 minutes and I see the memory dwindle
down (I'm running 32 supervisord python app threads that make system
calls). For the most part, memory is fairly static. But inches down.

At one point it jumps from about 250MB free to 34MB free and that is the
last update I see after it freezes. My 'top' indicates that kswapd with
a nice of -5 has jumped to the top of the process list. Not sure if
thats because of the memory situation or the cause of it.

After that, the instance cannot be used, rebooted or contacted in
anyway.

I will post this on the launchpad thread too, which seems to indicate a
bug in the process scheduler.

But if kswapd is kicking in and there is no swap, I wonder what that
would mean.

Darren