[ec2] swap?

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Sun Jul 26 21:23:01 BST 2009

Hi Darren,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Darren Govoni <darren at ontrenet.com> wrote:

> The problem I am running into may be related to the other posted issue
> here when instances freeze.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/276476
>
> Basically, all of my instances will freeze up after some time running
> where they are reading/writing AWS services heavily as well as local
> disk. I was concerned if its related to no virtual memory swap.

If you have no swap things will get killed, be it apache, a database, or
something else. The system won't go down if it runs out of memory. If the
system hangs it implies (to me) that it's a filesystem or kernel problem.
What filesystem are you running? Any RAID/LVM? Are you using EBS or is this
the local instance storage?

> once it freezes I cannot even reboot it. Its gone forever.

So rebooting via the AWS console/tools doesn't help? Note that it can easily
take 5 minutes or longer to reboot an instance via the AWS restart command.
After your instance has rebooted, there may be something informative (about
the problem) in the EC2 console output.

Rob :)