[ec2-beta] Some suggestions

Joel Natividad joel.natividad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 05:27:43 GMT 2009

Its a great start! And coupled with the AWS Management Console, it should
make Cloud Computing with Ubuntu a LOT easier.
Some suggestions though to really set Ubuntu-EC2 apart:

 * Include ec2-ami-tools in image by default.  It was very useful and I only
got it when I installed the python-vm-builder-ec2.  Its a must install when
working with AMIs, IMHO when creating a custom AMI based on ubuntu-ec2.

 * On firstboot, perhaps give an option to create an Elastic Block Store
Volume.  And if user goes for an EBS volume, intelligently create stuff like
mysql data and apache logs (if selected from software lists during
firstboot) on EBS.

* And when putting persistent data on EBS, also modify apparmor accordingly
(chased my tail for a while when I tried to move mysql data)

* If EBS option is selected, create scripts to automount EBS volume on boot

* Tighter landscape.canonical.com integration - perhaps prompt for landscape
login on firstboot

On the landscape stuff, perhaps create some EC2 integration smarts:

 * place to store AWS x509 certificates/keys which firstboot will retrieve
after logging into landscape  (creates a compelling argument to use
landscape too)

 * be able to manage Ubuntu-EC2 AMIs straight from landscape (since you're
storing AWS certs/keys anyway)

 * and while I'm in pie-in-the-sky, dreaming mode - ability to do some of
the stuff ala RightScale

Looking forward to Ubuntu in the Cloud!
Joel
joel at natividads.com * wireless at natividads.com