[ec2-beta] RFC: screenbin -- like pastebin, but for screen, using Ubuntu in Amazon EC2

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Wed Jan 14 00:08:59 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:09:15PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:34:24PM -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Mark Shuttleworth
> > <mark.shuttleworth at canonical.com> wrote:
> > > We really need a good way to make packages for multiple releases :-/

> While not yet automated, I think the approach that makes the most sense is
> to upload the build to the earliest release it builds on, and then
> package-copy them within the PPA to the newer releases.  This would mimic
> the way this happens "naturally" in the archive.

Right - if you're doing a single upload, that's what has to happen anyway;
you can't let the same package get picked up by the buildds for multiple
releases, because then you would have multiple binary packages with the same
version numbers.

If you want the packages to get rebuilt separately in each release, you can
tack a 'buildN' on the version number and upload separately.  If you want
the same package version to be used in all suites, a pocket copy will do
that.  Either way, it should not be necessary to implement anything new on
the Launchpad side to handle twiddling of upload targets in the .changes.

FWIW, the .changes semantics support specifying multiple upload targets
because Debian used to use this (er, about a decade ago) to designate
packages that should be installed both to the 'unstable' and the 'frozen'
archives.  It's no longer supported in the Debian archive, because of the
ambiguities related to how the binary packages should get built.