[ec2-beta] RFC: screenbin -- like pastebin, but for screen, using Ubuntu in Amazon EC2

Kees Cook kees.cook at canonical.com
Tue Jan 13 23:09:15 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:34:24PM -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Mark Shuttleworth
> <mark.shuttleworth at canonical.com> wrote:
> > We really need a good way to make packages for multiple releases :-/

While not yet automated, I think the approach that makes the most sense is
to upload the build to the earliest release it builds on, and then
package-copy them within the PPA to the newer releases.  This would mimic
the way this happens "naturally" in the archive.

> Is this a violation of Debian policy?  I imagine that I have
> oversimplified the technical details ;-)  But there are enough smart
> people on these lists that I'm sure we can zero in on a viable
> solution.

Right, basically, a "release" is just a list of the binary packages, so
there can't be one packages with the same version uploaded to a PPA for
different releases (since it already exists in the PPA).  What needs to be
enhanced is the ability for a PPA owner to specify which releases a binary
is valid for (i.e. a package-copy from one release list to another).
Generally this is not done so that the build is required to make sure
things like ABI are sane.

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team