[ec2-beta] RFC: screenbin -- like pastebin, but for screen, using Ubuntu in Amazon EC2

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 12 23:11:17 GMT 2009

Howdy EC2-beta-

I just published a blog post that might interest some people on this list:
 * http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/01/screenbin-like-pastebin-but-for-screen.html

Basically, I've created a new utility, screenbin (and packaged it for
Ubuntu in my PPA).

The concept behind it is very similar to a pastebin--basically a
temporary location to collaboratively work on something, and throw it
away when you're done.

The difference is that it's far more interactive than a simple
pastebin.  Using EC2, a fully operational Ubuntu server is
instantiated, ssh keys are retrieved and installed, and multiple
people can ssh to the system and share a screen session.

This has already proven valuable for my team members and I, in doing
such daily activities as:
 * collaborative development
 * peer code review
 * demo's
 * debugging
 * mentoring and instruction
 * ...

I'm curious for feedback from this list here.

You can file bugs or feature requests at:
 * https://bugs.launchpad.net/screenbin/+bugs

And if you're willing/interested in helping with some development, I'd
be much obliged ;-)

Cheers,
--
:-Dustin