[ec2-beta] Ubuntu on Amazon beta trial

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Tue Jan 6 10:37:31 GMT 2009

[And now I see SteveB has already answered, but since I typed this all,
I'm going to post anyway :) ]

khalil:

There is no need to download images yourself when using Amazon EC2.

When you start virtual hosts (instances) on Amazon EC2 you simply tell
Amazon's API the id of the image (AMI) you want to run and it takes care
of the rest.

The AMI ids start with "ami-" and the current official Ubuntu beta AMI
ids are provided in the welcome email you forwarded.

If you want to run a small 32-bit instance (the default, cheaper option)
then you will want to specify the i386 AMI id: ami-814aaee8

The welcome email also points to a bare-bones guide which walks through
installing the API command line tools and using them to start and stop
an instance.

The guide does assume you are running Ubuntu on your local system.  You
can still run Ubuntu on EC2 even from a Windows or Mac desktop, but the
steps are slightly different to get started.

Amazon also has a Getting Started Guide which delves into more
introductory details:

   http://ec2gsg.notlong.com

The guide was written for a different AMI, so not every step matches
what you can do with the official Ubuntu beta AMIs, but there is some
good info there.

It can take a bit of effort to figure out how all the concepts fit
together but it's worth it once you've got it.  Feel free to ask for
more help along the way.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com